History of Sri Vadapathira Kaliamman Temple

Sri Vadapathira Kaliamman Temple Sri Vadapathira Kaliamman Temple is widely believed to have started in 1830 with a sole female devotee. She had placed a picture of Amman under a banyan tree that was located near the present temple. The location of the temple, at the junction of Balestier, Serangoon. Race Course and Rangoon roads, was very popular because it had several wells and water points. Many residents from nearby areas frequented the area to collect water for themselves.

In I935. Mr Rengasamy Mooriyar converted the premises into a full-fledged temple and conducted the consecration ceremony, paying for the expenses from his retirement savings. Sri Vinayakar. Muruga and Ambal were the main deities of the temple.

In 1943, Mr Kottavai Govindasamy further expanded the temple to include Sri Periachi, Madurai Veeran and Muneeswaran. During this period, the end of Aadi Urchavam Festival was celebrated with an Ambal procession in a bullock cart to the Sri Manmathan Temple at Potong Pasir, where the would remain for about 2 weeks for prayers.


After the demise of Mr Govindasamy in 1948. Mr S L Perumal took the management of the temple. He was later joined by Messrs Murugaiyan, Samiyappan, VairappaThevar and Thangavel Mandor as committee members. The temple was manned by Mr Karuupiah who doubled up as the priest and the day-to-day administrator of the temple. In the early 70s the temple was further renovated and improved upon. Separate sanctums were created for the mam deities. Vinayakar, Murugan and Ambal. In I9th March 1975, a consecration ceremony for thetemple was conducted under the leadership of Mr S L Perumal.

In 1079, the Ramar Bhajan Matt operating in Cross Street relocated to the Sri Vadapathira Kaliamman Temple. Soon after in 1982, another round Temple renovation was embarked on. The Ramar Bhajan Matt was converted into a full-fledged temple. In I984, Mr S L P Mohhann, the son of Mr S L Perumal led the consecration ceremony for the two temples.

In 1994, the temple volunteer ubayakars formed a registered society and played a key role in the management of the temple. Subsequently, the Society was dissolved and a new Board of Trustees comprising of seven (7) members, was constituted in 1998.

In 2003, this committee undertook further development projects that included, among other things, a 4-storey muti-purpose hall and renovation and repair works to the deities. As part of the efforts, the deities of Sri Periyachi, Madurai Veeran, Muneeswaran were relocated within the temple.

Culminated in the Maha Kumbabishegam (consecration ceremony) of the temple on 23rd January 2005.